The UVM Parents Fund
Lisa Sorce-Aiba is the chair for the Parents Fund Committee. Her son, Rei '11 is in the College of Arts and Sciences--Economics and English majors and her daughter, Saiyo '13 is also in the College of Arts and Sciences--Psychology major
What is the Parents Fund Committee?
The UVM Parents Fund Committee, comprised of parent volunteers who solicit other parents by mail, phone, and in person on an annual basis, is the vehicle for parent support and engagement at The University of Vermont. Widely recognized as one of the most successful groups of its kind in the country, particularly for a public institution the size of UVM, the UVM Parents Fund Committee is a dynamic, enthusiastic group whose members care very much for UVM and the experience of their own children here at the University.
In fiscal year 2010, which ended June 30, 2010, the UVM Parents Fund raised a total of $2,217,561 from nearly 5,994 parent donors. Thank you for your vote of confidence by making a gift!
What is the role of a volunteer for the Parents Fund Committee?
As a Committee member, your charge will be to help the Parents Fund in continuing a strong tradition of commitment and support to the university. Responsibilities of individuals on this committee include:
- Make a leadership pledge to the Parents Fund by Sep. 1. (Past Gift Committee volunteers have found that by making their own leadership gifts early - before making calls to ask others for their support - it makes the calls that much easier.
- Attend Gift Committee Volunteer training Saturday morning of Homecoming & Family Weekend (or conference call training if unable to attend Homecoming).
- Solicit at least 10-12 parents for gifts by making phone calls, writing letters or emails (return forms to UVM by Nov. 15). UVM will provide volunteers with names and contact information of those to contact.
- Listen carefully and share your favorite UVM experiences or reasons for serving in this volunteer role with the people you contact, write down pertinent information, return the forms to UVM, and have fun!
- Solicit at least 3-5 parents in the spring - repeat procedures done in the Fall (return forms to UVM by May 15) or make at least 5-8 thank you calls to donors.
- Provide an update of your progress periodically to the Committee Chair or Parents Fund Volunteer Manager.
- Attend UVM events throughout the year when possible.
- Serve as a communication link between UVM and parents.
- See the list of the current Parents Fund Committee volunteers
Let us know how you would like to help by filling out the Parent & Family volunteer form.
For more information about the Parents Fund, contact
Director, Parents Fund